Here's a great trunk exercise for you to try during your next workout. Anti-rotation exercises are excellent and I'd choose these way ahead of crunches.
How to do it:
- Set yourself in a push-up position but with narrow hands and wide feet.
- Hold a neutral spine position. Keep your tummy tight and squeeze your glutes.
- Reach for your opposite elbow whilst trying to keep your hips completely still (they'll want to turn so don't let them!)
- Start by reaching for the elbows, but to develop the exercise and make it tougher, reach for the opposite shoulder as shown in the video.
- Start by trying 5 on each side, then add reps when appropriate.
Written by Marc Brown